Sunday, February 9, 2014

Creamed Chicken or Turkey






 
My family loves creamed turkey or chicken.  It’s one of my favorite go to meals when I’m in a hurry or need something warm and filling.  After the holidays my children and now my grandchildren ask for creamed turkey.   This is one of the ways I used up left over turkey!!   This is a very simple but delicious  way of making this dish.  My sisters make it this way and since I’m the baby of the family (much younger, lol) it was up to them to teach me to cook.  So here is my version of Creamed Chicken /Turkey.

Creamed Chicken/Turkey
This makes about 3 quarts
1 - 32 oz box of chicken broth (or if you make your own stalk, about 4 cups)
2 cups of water
1 chicken bouillon cube
Approx. 2 pinches of ground thyme
Salt & pepper to taste
3 – 4 cups of cooked skinless chicken or turkey, cubed
4 cups of milk
½ to ¾ c of flour

In the pot heat broth and water to boiling, reduce heat, break up bouillon cube and add to broth, stirring to dissolve.  Add thyme, salt and pepper.  Once bouillon is dissolved completey add the chicken or turkey and let that cook.  Meanwhile in a blender or food processor add the milk – turn on low so you can slowly add the flour, cover and turn on higher speed to thoroughly mix.  (This method helps prevent any lumps)   While stirring, slowly add the milk and flour mixture to the pot and let it cook to thicken.  If too thin you can add more milk and flour mix with just about ¼ c of milk with a tbs. of flour and slowly add to the pot as before.  Let this cook for about 10 minutes until thick.  Serve over rice or biscuits. 

OPTIONS:

You can serve this over toast, on mashed potatoes, or buttered noodles.  I usually make this with a side of green beans or steamed veggies of some sort.    Sometimes if I want it a little creamier I will add about a cup of evaporated milk  and 3 cups of milk.   Also when I’m in a big hurry I will use 2 or 3 cans of chicken in place of the cooked cubed chicken.   This is a great hot meal for moms on the go!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment