Sunday, May 18, 2014

APPLE PANCAKES





These are a quick, easy and delicious breakfast on the go or on a weekend.  I grew up eating these as a treat and my children grew up with them and now I make them for my grandchildren.  I love them to this day and I enjoy the excitement on the children's faces when I make them.   You can also freeze these and pop them in the toaster or microwave for a quick weekday breakfast.  


Ingredients:
1 ½ C all-purpose flour
3 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. white sugar
1 ¼ C. milk
1 egg
3 Tbsp. butter (melted)

1 large apple peeled , cored and either thinly sliced.  (I used Granny Smith)
1/8 tsp. of cinnamon mixed with 1 Tbsp. sugar  (optional – more or less to taste)



Instructions:

1.        In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder, salt & sugar.  Make a well in the center & pour in the milk, egg and melted butter.  Mix until smooth.
2.       Mix the sliced apple with the cinnamon & sugar mix, stir until apple is well coated. 
3.       Heat a lightly oiled griddle or skillet, to medium high heat (for electric griddles that would be about 375°).  Pour about 1/8 to ¼ C of batter (to make a cookie sized pancake) to the hot griddle and add a small amount of the apple/cinnamon mix to the top of the pancake then pour a Tbsp. of batter over the apples.  Cook until batter looks dry along the edges, gently lifting to check that bottom is golden brown and flip.  Cook the other side until brown and serve.  

I make them small enough to hold in your hand to eat like a cookie. 

**Serving options:  1) I have put them in a baggie with granulated sugar in it and shake them.  2)  Sprinkle some powdered sugar over them.  3) Put them on a plate and serve with butter and maple syrup.  



No comments:

Post a Comment