Sunday, November 17, 2013

Shrimp Cheese Ball


This recipe is one that my sister gave me over 25 years ago and I have used it ever since for Christmas celebrations at the office and at home.   This is not only a wonderful appetizer for the holidays but also wonderful to serve for super bowl parties, weddings, or just for the fun of it.  I like it for Christmas because of the red coloring and taking all of 5 minutes to throw together can be used in a pinch.  If you like shrimp and cocktail sauce you will absolutely LOVE this.   What’s not to love right?  I chose a Christmas theme for these pictures and even swirled a little bit of green food coloring through the ball but you can use your imagination and make it to fit any occasion.

Ingredients:
1  8 oz. block of cream cheese
2 cans of tiny shimp (well drained)   divided.
1 tsp of lemon juice
1/8 tsp of Old Bay seasoning

Approx.  ¾ cup of ketchup
1 to 1 ½ tsp of horseradish

Instructions:

Mix together the cream cheese with 1 can of shrimp (make sure it is well drained), lemon juice and Old Bay.  The shrimp will crumble as you mix.  I use my hands.  When it is all well mixed, form the mixture into a ball and set on serving dish.  Cover and put in the refrigerator. 

In a separate bowl mix together the ketchup, horseradish and the 2nd can of shrimp.   You may add more or less ketchup but it needs to be fairly thick.  Cover and place in the refrigerator. 

Right before you are ready to serve, remove both the ball and the topping and apply the topping on the ball to cover completely.   Serve with crackers of your choice.

NOTES:   I buy 3 cans of shrimp and divide them 1 ½ per each the ball and the topping.  It doesn’t taste any different but I just like the extra shrimp especially in the topping because it keeps it thick.  ALSO, when I take the topping out of the refrigerator there is usually a little bit of water on top – I carefully drain that off and blot the topping with a paper towel. 


No comments:

Post a Comment